Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jasmine's Story

Friday, March 16
125th Street between Park & Lexington Avenues
 
I was walking down the street and a boy tried to talk to me (he was with a group of other boys).  He asked if he was "valid" (or good enough) to talk to, and I responded "no, I have a boyfriend."  He then said, "F@ck your boyfriend. What does he have to do with me? I'm not talking about him. This is why I can't stand Harlem b*tches." (The boys joined in by laughing). I asked "Harlem what?" and his friend responded "Harlem girls."  The boy then repeated "Harlem b*tches" and went on to say, "You're on my block talking, I should get you jumped.  I'm about to violate you right now." I tried to verbally defend myself, but then decided to cross the street.
 
--
 
This has to stop. This is a teenage girl who deserves better. She deserves to be able to walk down the street without being disrespected ("Harlem b*tch") or threatened ("I'm about to violate you right now.).
 
Join me tomorrow, Friday, March 23 for a dance and dialogue about how to make her neighborhood a less threatening place to be. 


 That's why this dance matters. This is why we need your voice. See you Friday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment